SUNRIVER, Ore. - (Update: Line sealed; CNG, police give all clear)
People on several Sunriver streets were advised to shelter in place for a few hours Wednesday morning after residents noticed and reported the tell-tale odor of a natural gas leak from a line hit by a contractor working in the area.
Police and fire crews, as well as Cascade Natural Gas, were called to a location on Sparks Lane around 8:30 a.m. and the initial responders said it appeared the gas leak was detected by residents about 500 feet away.
Officers went door to door to advise residents, telling them to shelter in place. Around 9:30 a.m., Sunriver police issued an alert on social media listing five streets where residents should remain inside: Sparks, Rogue, Wickiup, White Elm and Yellow Pine lanes.
CNG spokesman Mark Hanson said around 8:30 a.m., a contract crew damaged a 2-inch plastic main gas line on Sparks Lane.
Hanson said CNG crews were working with fire and police to monitor gas readings in the area and working to secure the line. He said later they had the gas controlled and the "shelter in place" was lifted around 10:40 a.m.
Sunriver police updated to advise that the "gas leak has been mitigated."
"It is safe to leave your home," they said, adding that crews were still in the area. "Thank you for all your cooperation! Stay safe!"
NewsChannel 21's Mike Allen, who was on scene, said it was clear the gas leak was kicking up dust in the cordoned-off area.