BEND, Ore. - Oregon State University–Cascades’ fall adult community learning workshops begin in September and are open for registration. Geared toward personal and professional development, the workshops cover topics including health, film and art, leadership development, and equity and inclusion.
The workshops will be led by OSU-Cascades faculty and local industry leaders and experts.
Personal development courses:
- A Toolkit for Successful Aging: 5:30-7:30 p.m. Sept. 24, Oct. 8, Oct. 22, Nov. 2. Exploration of the biological, social and cultural aspects of aging with OSU-Cascades kinesiology faculty, emphasizing the importance of exercise and nutrition habits and how to slow the progression of conditions such as cardiovascular disease and osteoarthritis.
- BendFilm Deep Dive: Various times, Oct. 10 through Oct. 13. Discussions of four independent films featured in the BendFilm festival. Led by Tony Russell, associate professor of English at Central Oregon Community College.
- Open-Heart, Open-Mind Communication: 5:30-7:45 p.m., Thursdays: Sept. 26, Oct. 3, Oct. 10, Oct. 17. A workshop in navigating relationships with compassion and disciplined thinking, and encouraging honest interactions in both work and personal relationships. Led by Dennis Lynn, instructor of human development and family sciences.
- Printmaking: 5:30-7:45 p.m. Wednesdays: Sept. 25, Oct. 2, Oct. 9, Oct. 16. An exploration of the art of printmaking with art instructor Andrew Lorish and lessons in tool handling, carving techniques and printing practices, an opportunity to produce original work using woodcut and linoleum cut.
- Solving Your Retirement Puzzle: 5:30-7:45 p.m., Tuesdays: Sept. 24, Oct. 1, Oct. 8, Oct. 15.A workshop addressing topics about financial planning and budgeting in retirement, and how to invest new-found time after a career. Led by retired financial advisor and community leader Oran Teater.
- Telling Your Story: 5:30-7:45 p.m., Mondays: Sept. 23, Sept. 30, Oct. 7, Oct. 14. An exploration of mediums for memoir-style writing, including poetry and personal essays, as well as opportunities for self-publishing with workshop leaders Jenna Goldsmith, a writing instructor and Erin Rook, diversity coordinator.
- Wilderness Safety: 5:30-7:45 p.m. Thursdays: Sept. 26, Oct. 3, Oct. 10, Oct. 17, Oct. 24, Oct. 31. For backcountry travelers. Taught by OSU-Cascades Recreation Program Coordinator Julia Conrad and former U.S. Air Force survival instructor Bryce Mitchell, this course explores safety in the wilderness and skills that can increase chances of survival following injury.
Professional development courses:
- Conflict Management: 5-9 p.m., Friday Sept. 20; 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 21. OSU-Cascades business instructor Erika McCalpine will provide business owners, managers and employees tools to reduce and resolve conflict, and build effective workplace relationships.
- Fundamentals of Leadership: 5:30-7:45 p.m,. Wednesdays: Oct. 16, Oct. 23, Oct. 30, Nov. 6. Led by Rod Ray, leadership consultant and former chief executive of Bend Research, this course explores the importance of vision and values in leadership practices, and how to integrate both into a workplace culture.
- Nonprofit Catalyst: 5:30-7:45 p.m., Mondays: Sept. 30, Oct. 7, Oct. 14, Oct. 21. Led by Adam Krynicki, executive director of the OSU-Cascades Innovation Co-Lab, this workshop brings a team of local nonprofit leaders and experts to share insights, best practices and tools that can be applied immediately to increase an organization’s impact.
- Safe Zone: 5:30-7:45 p.m., Tuesdays: Sept. 24, Oct. 1, Oct. 8, Oct. 15. Designed for professionals and volunteers who provide services to the LGBTQ community, this workshop will explore gender identity and sexual orientation, laws and policies, and tools and strategies for supporting LGBTQ individuals of all ages. Led by OSU-Cascades’ Diversity Coordinator Erin Rook and writing instructor Jenna Goldsmith
- Tourism Research and New Tourism Ventures: Online, Sept. 11 to Sept. 26; in-person, 4 to 7 p.m., Friday, Sept. 27. Led by Travel Oregon’s leading data expert and research analyst Ladan Ghahramani, this hybrid course will provide tourism managers and entrepreneurs lessons in using data to evaluate existing and future services, and applying findings to strategic business decisions.
Fees for most workshops are $79 plus a $35 application fee. To learn more or register visit www.osucascades.edu/community-learning or call 541-706-2101.