BEND, Ore. - Bend residents are invited to attend two upcoming open houses to learn more about the Empire Corridor improvement project and what will happen during construction.
The Empire Corridor project is a city priority that will greatly improve safety, multi-modal transportation options, access and connectivity for the neighborhood and the traveling public, the city announcement said.
The first phase of the project breaks ground in early September. Empire Avenue will be closed between NE 18th Street and NE Purcell Boulevard.
Open House options on Monday, August 20:
· 10 Barrel East
62950 NE 18th, Bend
10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
· Combined Communications (at 18th & Empire roundabout)
63088 NE 18th, Bend
5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Drop in whichever open house is most convenient. Project leaders will outline the project and answer questions.
Phase 1, which starts in September and is expected to take about nine months to complete, will include:
- a roundabout at Empire Avenue and Purcell Boulevard
- reconstruction of Empire Avenue between 18th Street and Purcell Boulevard
During this phase, sections of Empire and Purcell will be closed temporarily but local access to area homes, parks, schools and businesses will remain open.
Phase 2 includes:
- extension of Empire to 27th Street and Butler Market Road
- a new roundabout at 27th and Butler Market Road
- modernization of Purcell Boulevard between Empire Avenue and Butler Market Road
Phase 2 construction is expected to be completed by 2021.
Stay up to date on the project at www.bendoregon.gov/empire.