SALEM, Ore. - The Higher Education Coordinating Commission on Friday announced the state of Oregon is now accepting applications through Sept.1 for the Oregon National Guard State Tuition Assistance (ONG-STA) grant for students planning to attend college this fall.
This new grant program provides funds for tuition at Oregon community colleges and public universities for current eligible service members of the Oregon Army National Guard and the Oregon Air National Guard.
Prospective students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to benefit from this grant this fall, and future students should be aware of the upcoming deadlines of November 1 for winter term, and March 1 for spring term.
The Legislature passed House Bill 4035 earlier this year, authorizing the HECC to administer $2.5 million in grants to Oregon National Guard service members attending Oregon community colleges or public universities.
The Oregon National Guard State Tuition Assistance grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until all available funds are used. The grant is a “last dollar” program, meaning it is calculated after other state and federal grants for which eligible students qualify.
To apply, prospective students must:
- Create a Student Profile with the Office of Student Access and Completion (OSAC)
- Complete an Oregon National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program application
- Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Army Requirement: Apply for Federal Tuition Assistance and provide a copy of your TA authorization form to your school's business office
- Air AGR Requirement: Complete a Military Tuition Assistance (MilTA) Request, requires Common Access Card (CAC) login
Eligible service members must at a minimum:
- Complete any military basic training
- Have a current passing Annual Physical Fitness Test score (APFT)
- Be in good standing with their unit
- Not have achieved a baccalaureate degree or higher
- Not be in default of any federal loans
For a full list of eligibility requirements, to apply for ONG-STA, and for more information, please visit the HECC Office of Student Access and Completion website:https://oregonstudentaid.gov/state-tuition-assistance.aspx
If you have any questions about the program, contact Dr. Lori Ellis at 541-687-7471 or firstname.lastname@example.org