News

Terrebonne burn pile flares in wind; shed destroyed

Fire officials remind: Always keep watch until out

TERREBONNE, Ore. - An unattended Terrebonne burn pile flared in Saturday afternoon’s winds and destroyed a nearby storage shed, causing an estimated $10,000 in losses, Redmond fire officials said Sunday.

The fire was called in just before 3 p.m. in the 1100 block of Northwest Newell Avenue.

An off-duty Redmond firefighter noticed a large amount of black smoke coming from a nearby property and went to investigate, finding the 10-by-20-foot shed fully involved and quickly called 911 to report it, said Redmond Fire Marshal Traci Cooper.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze upon arrival, she said. Crooked River Ranch Fire provided mutual-aid assistance.

Cooper said Redmond Fire & Rescue urges property owners to never leave a fire unattended until it is completely extinguished.

Officials said the property owner was not cited, noting that is a consideration if such a fire causes damage other than to their own property.


By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories