Want a new twist to your New Year’s resolutions? Focus on positive changes for your four-legged friend. The Humane Society of Central Oregon would like to suggest resolutions that improve the quality of life of your pet and our community.
Want to give back to the community? Volunteer your time or talents to the Humane Society of Central Oregon (HSCO) Animal Shelter or Thrift Store. Walk dogs, play with the cats or assist with events. Thrift Store volunteers help sort and display donated items.
Getting rid of the old and replacing with new items? Donate gently used items to the Humane Society of Central Oregon’s Thrift Store at 61220 South Highway 97 in Bend. All proceeds from donations and sales help the animals.
Make a tax-deductible donation to the Humane Society of Central Oregon in honor of or in remembrance of a special pet or person. Donations can be made online at www.hsco.org.
Following are some New Year’s resolutions to consider for your four-legged friends:
· Update vaccinations to prevent diseases.
· Spay or Neuter your pet now to prevent pet over-population and certain diseases.
· Make sure your pet is wearing an identification tag that is easy to read and has current information.
· Make a lifetime investment in a microchip identification for your dog and cat.
· Take a dog training class to develop desired behaviors and make them good citizens.
· Follow County laws and get your dog licensed or the license renewed.
· Review the canine and feline diet to make sure it is meeting your pet’s needs.
· Do the rib test (when running fingers over your pet’s ribs with light pressure, can you feel the ribs?) and see if a few pounds need to be taken-off to provide good health.
· Take your dog for a walk or play with them every day.
· Play with your cat every day to provide mental and physical stimulation.
· Schedule a health exam for your companion animal(s).
· Clean the cat litter box every day to make the kitty happy and prevent litterbox problems.
· Buy new toys for the dog and cat.
· Teach an old dog a new trick.
· Check-out the dog park and make new friends.
· Take a current photograph that shows identifying marks well, just in case the pet gets lost.
· Adopt a new friend from the Humane Society of Central Oregon or encourage others to open their heart and home to a deserving homeless animal.
· Make a tax-deductible donation to the Humane Society of Central Oregon in honor of or in remembrance of a special pet or person. Donations can be made online at www.hsco.org.
For more information visit www.hsco.org or call 541.382.3537. The Humane Society of Central Oregon is located just south of Reed Market Road on 27th Street in Bend.