REDMOND, Ore. -

A smoky attic fire – apparently caused by an improperly discarded cigarette – caused about $70,000 damage to a southwest Redmond home Wednesday afternoon, officials said.

Firefighters were called to the home at 2254 SW Quartz Avenue around 3:20 p.m., said Deputy Fire Marshal Clara Butler.

They arrived to find flames showing across the roof line of the house, with heavy smoke coming from the eaves, Butler said.

Firefighters cut into the roof and sides of the home to reach the attic space and douse the flames. The house sustained heavy water damage, according to the fire official.

There were concerns about a dog inside the home, but neighbor Sean Keith said he saw “this guy ran up to the house, kicked the door and brought this dog out.”

The call came at a time when all Redmond fire units were committed to other emergency calls, prompting a mutual aid call. The initial attack was by the chief officers, Butler said, adding that 17 career firefighters and two volunteers responded.

Mutual-aid help came from Bend and Cloverdale fire, with other assistance from Redmond police, Pacific Power, Cascade Natural Gas and the American Red Cross.