REDMOND, Ore. - Despite its director facing sex abuse charges, the Redmond Proficiency Academy is moving forward.
Thursday night, they held an open house for those interested in learning more about the school. About 150 people showed up and learned what charter school had to offer.
The tone of the meeting was moving forward and not dwelling on the past.
"Our focus for the past month has been on insuring that we provide a high-quality learning environment for all of our students," said Jon Bullock, the school's interim director. "Students know that this is a place where they are cared about and respected."
Last month, the school's director, 39-year-old Michael Bremont. was arrested on multiple sex abuse charges alleging inappropriate conduct with a student.
After his arrest, the school's board president, Patrick MacKelvie, said they need to focus on the students.
"Safety is No. 1," MacKelvie said. "Then the students' well-being and providing them with everything they need to succeed."
At Thursday night's open house, the message was much the same -- that the focus should be on the students and not what's happening in the courtroom.
"Tonight is an opportunity for us to welcome anyone who wants to learn more about Redmond Proficiency Academy," Bullock said
The school has opened enrollment, and anyone within the Redmond School District has the opportunity to send their child to the academy. Enrollment closes April 2nd.
If there are more than 750 students interested in the charter school, a lottery will be held for enrollment.
The school is also pushing forward with plans to add a middle school curriculum in the fall.