Redmond hit-and-run leads to chase, crash, arrest

Police:: Speeds hit 85 mph before pursuit called off

REDMOND, Ore. - A woman sought in a Redmond hit-and-run crash led police on a chase through town Sunday afternoon at up to 85 mph, despite a flat tire, before police terminated it for safety reasons. The SUV soon was found crashed into a field in Terrebonne and the 36-year-old Bend woman at the wheel was arrested on more than 20 charges.

Redmond police, Deschutes County sheriff's deputies and Oregon State police were involved in the felony pursuit, which began around 1 p.m. after officers learned of a hit-and-run crash at Highway 97 and Odem Medo Road, said Redmond police Lt. Mike Kidwell.

The suspect vehicle in the non-injury hit-and-run crash was reported to be a white Dodge Durango, heading north on Southwest Fifth Street with a flat tire, Kidwell said.

Redmond police found the Durango on the north end of town and tried to pull it over, but the driver, later identified as Brandy Michelle Carmack, did not stop, instead turning west onto Northwest Maple Avenue, and the chase was on.

The SUV turned north onto Northwest Way, and police discontinued the pursuit at NW Almeter Way and Sedgewick Avenue in Terrebonne due to the danger, noting speeds up to 85 mph and the SUV going into oncoming lanes on curves and other unsafe moves.

Several minutes later, a Redmond officer found the Durango and driver crashed into a field at NW Odem Avenue and 19th Street in Terrebonne, Kidwell said. Carmack, who was unhurt and alone in the Durango, was taken into custody without incident by Redmond police and OSP troopers, he added.

Carmack was booked into jail on 21 charges, including DUII, reckless driving, seven counts of recklessly endangering, three counts of attempting to elude police, three counts of hit-and-run, two counts of first-degree criminal mischief, one count of interfering with a police officer and three drug charges. Her bail totaled more than $130,000.

Kidwell offered the police department's appreciation to the OSP and sheriff's office, as well as citizens who provided vehicle information and direction of travel.

"Their assistance allowed this incident to be brought to a safe and successful conclusion," the lieutenant said in a news release.

By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories