REDMOND, Ore. -

A fire in a southwest Redmond detached garage-wood shop Saturday afternoon was caused by spontaneous combustion of oily rags improperly disposed of in a garbage can, investigators said.

Redmond firefighters were called around 3:20 p.m. to the garage fire at a home at 1040 SW 15th Street, said Fire Marshal Traci Cooper. They arrived to find black smoke coming from the garage door of a two-door garage, she said.

Crews were able to quickly extinguish a fire burning inside at a plastic garbage can and surrounding materials, Cooper said, adding that there were no injuries reported.

Losses were held to $250.