News

Redmond FD: Discarded cigarette sparked house fire

$45,000 damage to porch, bedroom, attic

REDMOND, Ore. - (Update: Adding damage figure)

A cigarette improperly disposed of in a planter box sparked a fire that damaged a northwest Redmond home Wednesday afternoon, officials said.

Crews were called around 1:30 p.m. to a reported porch fire at a one-story house in the 600 block of Northwest Seventh Street, said Fire Marshal Traci Cooper with Redmond Fire & Rescue.

Arriving crews found the fire extending from the front porch into a window and the attic, Cooper said.

Firefighters first ensured the occupants were safe outside the home, extinguishing the blaze from outside with hand lines.

Crews then entered the home and put out the fire that had extended into the bedroom through the window, also searching for any extension into the attic space, the fire marshal said.

Crews were on the scene for about an hour, doing overhaul work. There were no injuries, Cooper said.

Losses were estimated at $45,000 to the home and contents.

American Red Cross disaster responders were called in to assist the two affected adults with resources such as temporary housing, food and clothing.


By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories