Prineville man accused of stabbing 2 women arraigned

New information released by police, DA

Prineville man arraigned on attempted murder charges

PRINEVILLE, Ore. - A Prineville man who allegedly attacked two women inside their apartment on Sunday was arraigned in a Crook County courtroom on Tuesday. 

Anthony James Smith, 25, is facing two counts of attempted murder, kidnapping and other charges. He didn't enter a plea. 

Smith is accused of stabbing two women and sexually assaulting one of the victims early Sunday at an apartment complex in the 2000 block of Northeast Elk Street.

According to Crook County District Attorney Daina Vitolins, Smith, a former security guard at the Facebook data center, was attending a company party, then went to the Horseshoe Saloon and then the Lamonta Roadhouse bar.

Vitolins said Smith got a ride to his apartment from two women at the bar. The women told investigators Smith was acting aggressively toward them and left him home. 

Smith, who moved into the complex in November, allegedly entered his neighbors' apartment and attacked one woman in her mid-20s and another in her early 30s.

"Victim No. 1 one was immediately contacted by the suspect and was stabbed in the throat," said Prineville Police Chief Dale Cummins. "Victim No. 2 came out of her bedroom and confronts the suspect, which allows victim No. 1 to leave the apartment."

A neighbor told NewsChannel 21 his wife called the police after the woman, who was stabbed in the throat, came running down the stairs and yelling for help. 

Police arrived, heard screams coming from the upstairs apartment and allegedly found Smith trying to sexually assault the second woman. 

Vitolins told the judge Smith forced the victim to take off her clothes as he tried to rape her.

Officers were able to stop Smith's attack and took him into custody.

Vitolins said Smith's hands and clothes were covered in blood and the crime scene was gruesome. 

Officials said Smith told investigators he was too intoxicated and blacked out that night and did not remember attacking the women. 

Bill Smith told NewsChannel 21 he'd talked to his son on Saturday and he seemed to be in good spirits.

He said his son enrolled in school after the security company's contract with Facebook was canceled

Smith's father said his son graduated from Crook County High School and spent five years in the Marines, serving tours to several Middle East countries.

He said he noticed a change in Anthony when he came back from his service. Although he was never diagnosed. Bill Smith said he believed his son suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder.

"He didn't know what he was doing," Bill Smith said. "His conscience wouldn't allow it." 

The two victims were taken first to St. Charles Prineville, then to St. Charles Bend, where one has since been released.

During Anthony Smiths arraignment, Vitolins asked Judge Daniel Ahern to raise his bail, initially set at nearly $1 million, as he posed a danger to the community. 

Ahern set Smith's bail at $1 million and he is expected back in court next Tuesday. 

Smith is currently being held at the Jefferson County Jail, as Crook County rents jail beds there due to crowding at its own facility. 

By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories