Portable toilet set ablaze near new Bend hotel

BEND, Ore. - A fire near a hotel under construction in Bend's Old Mill District Monday evening began when juveniles apparently set a portable toilet ablaze, authorities said as police sought information leading to the suspects.

Firefighters were dispatched shortly before 7 p.m. on a possible structure fire in the area where a 114-room Hampton Inn & Suites is under construction, at 730 SW Columbia Street by Shevlin-Hixon Drive, said Bend Deputy Fire Marshal Dan Derlacki.

Crews found a fire in the area of several construction job trailers on the fenced job site, he said. The fire had spread to nearby trees and was threatening three nearby office trailers, but was quickly knocked down by firefighters.

An investigation found that a portable toilet had been set on fire near the trailers, Derlacki said, adding that Bend police assisted in the investigation.

It appeared that juveniles trespassed on the construction grounds and lit the portable toilet on fire, the fire official said.

Damages were estimated at $1,000.

Anyone with information about the fire was asked to contact Bend police at (541) 693-6911.

By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories