ODOT reminder: Keep campaign signs off rights-of-way

SALEM, Ore. - Temporary signs can restrict sight distance at intersections, interfere with maintenance work and present a safety hazard. With statewide political campaigns just around the corner, the Oregon Department of Transportation is reminding residents about the rules.

For example, signs are prohibited on trees, utility poles, fence posts and natural features within highway right of way. They also are prohibited within view of a designated scenic area. More information is available on ODOT's website.

"Campaign signs, as well as yard sale signs and other unauthorized notices, are not allowed to be placed on state highway right of way," said Luci Moore, ODOT State Maintenance and Operations engineer. "Our crews will remove the signs and store them for 30 days."

State right of way width varies, stretching from curb-to-curb within some cities, to 200 or more feet beyond the pavement in other locations. Please call these offices if you are uncertain whether you're placing a sign on private property or highway right of way:

  • For urban areas of Washington, Multnomah and Clackamas counties: (971) 673-6200
  • For rural areas of Multnomah and Clackamas counties and all of Hood River County: (503) 665-4193
  • Clatsop, Columbia, Tillamook and western Washington counties: District 1 Asst. Manager Bill Jablonski, (503) 325-7222
  • Marion, Yamhill and northern Polk counties: District 3 Asst. Manager Tim Swift, (503) 986-2900
  • Lincoln, Linn and Benton counties: District 4 Asst. Manager Kendal Weeks, (541) 757-4211
  • Lane County: District 5 Asst. Manager Ramona Cline, (541) 726-2541
  • Douglas, Coos and Curry counties: District 7 Asst. Manager Chris Hunter, (541) 957-3689
  • Jackson and Josephine counties: District 8 Asst. Manager Jeremiah Griffin, (541) 774-6352
  • Sherman, Gilliam and Wasco counties: Permit Specialist Scott Peters, (541) 296-2800
  • Deschutes, Crook, Jefferson and Wheeler counties: Permit Specialist Robert Morrow, (541) 388-6426
  • Klamath and Lake counties: Permit Specialist Dave Steiner, (541) 883-5786
  • Morrow and Umatilla counties: Permit Specialist Tom Lapp, (541) 276-1241
  • Baker, Union and Wallowa counties: Permit Specialist Lisa Hayes, (541) 963-8407
  • Grant, Malheur and Harney counties: Permit Specialist John Eden, (541) 823-4016

"Our employees are trying to reduce distractions, and when they remove illegally placed signs, they are simply doing their jobs," Moore said. "We appreciate everyone's understanding and cooperation."

By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories