BEND, Ore. - Construction of the second phase of the Reed Market Road project, from Third Street to Newberry Drive, starts next month.
Bend's Public Works Department invites the public to drop in during either of these informational meetings to talk to project engineers and to learn more:
- 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Monday, May 12, at the City of Bend Municipal Court, 555 N.E. 15th Street
- 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 28, at the Bend Park and Recreation Senior Center, 1600 SE Reed Market Road
The roadwork includes widening Reed Market to include two travel lanes and a center turn lane/median, adding 6-foot shoulder/bike lanes, 6-foot sidewalks, and landscaped stormwater swales. The traffic signal at the intersection of Reed Market and 15th Street will be removed and replaced with a roundabout.
See the map for proposed temporary routes and road closures during construction.
Phase 1 Stage 1: The intersection of Reed Market and 15th Street will be closed mid-June until mid-November to remove the traffic signal, relocate utility poles and build the roundabout.
Phase 1 Stage 2: Construction between Third Street and Ninth Street will occur mid-June 2014 until August 2015. One lane of traffic will be closed. Eastbound traffic will use Reed Market. Westbound traffic will be detoured to Wilson Avenue and Ninth Street. Construction includes the realignment of American Lane, a new bridge over the canal and the installation of a traffic signal.
Phase 2: Construction between Ninth Street and the roundabout at 15th Street will occur August 2015 until November 2015. This section will be open to traffic during construction.
The project is scheduled for completion in November of 2015.
In May 2011, Bend voters passed a General Obligation (G.O.) Bond measure for street improvements throughout the city. This allowed the City of Bend to issue up to $30 million to upgrade several major street corridors and intersections.
The following projects were selected for improvement:
• Reed Market Road (Third St. to 27th St.)
• Brookswood Boulevard/Powers Road roundabout
• Simpson Avenue/Mt. Washington Drive roundabout
• 18th Street/Empire Avenue roundabout
• 27th Street road reconstruction from Connors Drive to Butler Market Road
• 14th Street/Century Drive (Simpson Avenue to Galveston Avenue) road reconstruction to urban standard with bike lanes and sidewalks (if funding is available)
For more information, visit http://www.bendoregon.gov/gobond .