To honor student veterans at Oregon State University – Cascades, the Bend campus is hosting Veterans and Military Student Recognition Week from Nov. 6 to Nov. 11.
Sixty-two students are currently enrolled at the Bend campus as active duty veterans receiving benefits. An additional 12 students receive veteran dependent benefits.
Included in the week of activities are:
- A display of notes of appreciation from campus community members to student veterans
- A lunch reception recognizing the contributions of the student veterans
- A resource fair, featuring employers and dedicated veteran service providers, including Central Oregon Veterans Outreach, Central Oregon Veterans Ranch, Deschutes National Forest, OSU-Cascades Career Development Center and the Oregon Employment Department, WorkSource Oregon.
- Participation in the 18th Annual Veterans Day Parade in downtown Bend on Nov. 11
Of the active duty veterans enrolled at OSU-Cascades:
- 9 are women
- The oldest is 55; the youngest is 24
- 42 represent Central Oregon, nine are from elsewhere in Oregon and 11 are from outside the state
- Of those residing in Central Oregon, 33 are from Bend, four are from Redmond, three are from Sunriver and two are from La Pine
The OSU-Cascades Student Success office provides dedicated resources for student veterans to assist with the transition from military to college life, and to a civilian career. In addition, through the graduate counseling program’s clinic, free counseling is offered to veterans in the community, as well as to all community members.
OSU-Cascades is committed to supporting veterans in their pursuit of a degree. For information, visit http://osucascades.edu/studentsuccesscenter/veterans-information.