For many Oregon anglers, the 2014 trout season officially kicks off on Saturday, April 26 with the opening of hundreds of miles of rivers and streams and many lakes around the state.
While many lakes and some rivers and streams are open to trout fishing year-round in Oregon, the early trout opener in April continues to be a tradition with many families, and the first chance of the year to fish several popular locations, including:
- Hyatt Lake and Howard Prairie Reservoir in Jackson County, and Hemlock Lake in Douglas County.
- Large portions of the Willamette, Santiam and McKenzie rivers and many small streams in the Willamette Valley.
- Crane Prairie Reservoir, Big Lava Lake, South Twin, Wickiup, Odell and other Central Oregon lakes.
- Krumbo and Pilcher reservoirs, Wood and Powder rivers and portions of the Sprague and Williamson rivers in the southeastern part of the state.
According to Mike Gauvin, ODFW recreational fisheries manager, the April 26 opener extends what already has been a strong start to the trout fishing season.
“ODFW has been stocking trout and sponsoring Family Fishing Events since March, and the April opener increases the opportunities for anglers across the state,” Gauvin said.
For anglers getting ready to hit the water, ODFW offers a lot of information to get started fishing or deciding where to go, including:
- Trout stocking schedules – includes maps showing you how to get to each stocking location
- The Recreation Report – weekly updates from agency experts on the latest fishing conditions
- Trout Fishing in Oregon – how to fish for trout in rivers and lakes
- Easy Angling Oregon – 101 great places for newcomers and families to fish
- Family Fishing Events– bring the whole family, we’ll provide the fish, the gear, and plenty of encouragement
- Local and Regional Guides – 50 places to fish close to Portland, Bend, Roseburg, and Medford
Anglers should check the 2014 Sport Fishing Regulations for even more water bodies that open April 26. In addition, many more rivers and streams will open for trout fishing on Saturday, May 24.