NE Bend homeowner puts out small fire

Smoke detector, extinguisher avert 'potential disaster'

A working smoke detector, nearby fire extinguisher and quick-acting homeowner headed off "potential disaster" in a fire at a northeast Bend home early Wednesday morning, an official said.

Firefighters responded just before 4 a.m. to the blaze at the home of Jake Woerner at 454 NE Franklin Avenue, said Bend Fire Capt. Todd Riley.

They arrived to find a small fire in the living room had been put out by the homeowner, he said.

The fire's cause was found to be a short in a very old lamp cord, which ignited a tablecloth and the items on the table.

Firefighters checked to be sure there fire had not extended elsewhere n the home and ventilated the smoke, Riley said.

Losses were estimated at $5,000.

"The combination of a working smoke detector, an accessible fire extinguisher and a quick-acting occupant prevented potential disaster," Riley wrote.

He emphasized the importance of having working smoke detectors in your home, along with an extinguisher available that you know how to use.

By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories