BEND, Ore. -

A Bend greenhouse is destroyed Saturday afternoon after a fan motor overheated.

Bend fire officials said neighbors spotted the smoke and flames behind a home near Kearney Avenue and Seventh Street just after 1:30 p.m.

Bend fire Capt./ Andy Hood said the neighbors grabbed hoses and tried to put the fire out, as the homeowner was away at the time.

Firefighters arrived shortly after and quickly doused the blaze in the 120-square-foot greenhouse, within about 30 feet of the owner's house.

Homeowner John Robertson later told NewsChannel 21 the fire left him with about $3,500 in damages. He praised  the quick action of neighbors and responding firefighters who saved his home.

"If the garage had gone up (in flames), then the house would have," Robertson said. "Somebody was walking down the alley, saw it and jumped over the fence and turned the hose on."

In addition to the greenhouse, a fence was destroyed and Robertson's garage was slightly damaged.

Hood said a ventilation fan motor in the greenhouse overheated, igniting nearby wood combustibles.