News

Kitchen fire damages SW Madras duplex

Residents were making french fries on stove

The kitchen of a southwest Madras duplex sustained about $7,000 damage Tuesday night when a batch of french fries on a stovetop flared up and started a fire, officials said.

Jefferson County Fire District No. 1 firefighters responded shortly before 8 p.m. to the fire at a townhome-style diplex in the 800 block of Southwest Second Street, Fire Chief Brian Huff said.

Several people who were in the home made it out without injury, and crews limited damage to the kitchen area of the home, including the microwave above the stove, the cabinets on either side and the wall and ceiling above the stove, Huff said.

Madras police were first to arrive on scene and were putting out the fire when firefighters arrived, "making our job easier by keeping the fire small," Huff said. Fire crews finished extinguishing the fire and performed salvage and overhaul operations, removing smoke and damaged items.

Damage estimates were estimated at $5,000 to the structure and $2,000 to the contents. Huff said the residents were considering remaining in the structure overnight.

Jefferson County EMS also assisted at the scene, the fire chief said.


By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories