Grease fire damages SW Redmond home
Grease left heating on the stove unattended sparked a fire that caused about $10,000 damage to a southwest Redmond home Friday night, firefighters said.
Redmond Fire & Rescue crews responded around 8:25 p.m. to the report of smoke coming from a home at 3056 SW Quartz Avenue and arrived to find and quickly extinguish a fire burning in the kitchen, said Fire Marshal Traci Cooper.
Nearly a dozen firefighters confined fire damage to the kitchen, but there was significant smoke damage to other parts of the home, Cooper said.
When residents discovered the grease fire, Cooper said, they tried to put it out with baking soda and removed the pan from the home.
But when they came back into the kitchen, they discovered the fire had extended to the microwave and cabinets above, she said – so they safely evacuated and called 911.
No injuries were reported.
Copyright 2013 KTVZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed