BEND, Ore. -

A school district crew fixing a leaking water line accidentally cut into a natural gas line Tuesday afternoon, causing a leak that prompted evacuation of Marshall High School in northeast Bend and closure of surrounding streets, officials said.

Bend-La Pine Schools officials said the line was accidentally hit around 2:15 p.m. by a crew working to repair a leaking water line.

Classes at the high school, which has about 180 students, were evacuated to the front parking lot, then dismissed for the day around the normal time at 2:30 p.m., officials said.

Bend Fire Marshall Larry Medina said fire and police officers were were on scene, as well as Cascade Natural Gas and school district officials.

A short time later, Medina said the immediate danger was over and the gas levels had dissipated, meaning neighbors did not need to be evacuated. However, barricades remained in place well past 3 p.m.

Medina reminded all to call 811 before you dig -- "it's the law."

Also, he said, "Any time you have an emergency, make sure you follow your emergency plan, which should include calling 911 for appropriate emergency response."