With nearly 350 nurses nominated, there remain 143 finalists for 2013 Oregon Nurse of the Year. For the third year, this award will honor outstanding Oregon nurses for their constant care and compassion toward patients. Seventeen nurses will be awarded Nurse of the Year; one in each of 16 categories plus one Distinguished Nurse of the Year.
The four Bend area finalists are:
* Darci Meyer (Bend) for Critical Care (Adult & Pediatric) at St. Charles Health System
* Lusine Sarkisian (Bend) for Nurse Leader at St. Charles Health System
* Jody Holland (Madras) for Critical Care (Adult & Pediatric) at St Charles Health System
* Melissa Levesque (Prineville) for Small Hospital at St Charles Health System
Eighty-eight of the finalists are from the greater Portland area, 13 from the Gorge area, 13 commute from Washington, seven from the Salem area, seven from the Eugene area, seven from North Coast, and one from Eastern Oregon.
Award winners will be announced at the Nurse of the Year Breakfast on October 25, 2013, at the Portland Hilton & Executive Towers. Judy Tatman, Regional Chief Nursing Officer, Oregon, from Providence Health & Services, will be the Keynote speaker and the awards are emceed by local media personality Tara Dublin.
Awards will be given in the following 16 categories:
* Adult Acute Care
* Advance Practice
* Charge Nurse
* Community Health
* Adult and Pediatric Critical Care
* Hospice, Home Health, Long Term Care, Rehab and Palliative Care
* Mental Health
* Nurse Educator
* Nurse Leader
* Nurse Specialty
* Pediatric Acute Care
* Rising Star
* Small Hospital
* Surgical Services
* Women's Health