The 2-week-old, nearly 10,500-acre Logging Unit Fires on the Warm Springs Indian Reservation still have more than 1,200 personnel fighting them, having brought the blazes to 80 percent containment as of Monday.
Here's the Monday morning update in full:
Monday, July 28, 2014 – 8:00 a.m. PDT Fire Status Update
|Acres||% Contained||Total personnel|
Total Logging Unit Fires
Bear Butte 2-North
Camas Prairie/Logging Unit*
*Adjusted acreage reflects more accurate mapping
News & Highlights for the Logging Unit Fires
- The four National Guard helicopters, (2 Blackhawks and 2 Chinooks) along with a medium helicopter, have been demobilized. To date, over 800,000 gallons of water were dropped on the Logging Unit fires. The remaining helicopters, two heavy and two light, along with two fixed wing aircraft, remain available for air support.
- Yesterday, firefighters and aerial support teamed for another successful day of progress with the Logging Unit Fires
- Rising temperatures, dropping humidities and the progressive threat of “dry” thunderstorms may increase fire behavior and initial attack activity. Reburn potential within the interior of the fire lines may again result in visible smoke plumes.
- Thunderstorm activity is predicted for the next several days and firefighters will assist the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs with response to new starts as requested.
- As progress is made towards containment, excess resources will continue to demobilize. Motorists traveling on Hwy 26 can expect additional heavy equipment traffic on the roadway.
- Road and area closures remain in effect for Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs lands (see below).
- Five interagency hotshot crews, twenty-eight 20-person hand crews, 67 engines, 21 dozers and 24 water tenders are currently assigned.
- A portion of the Pacific Crest Trail remains closed with a reroute for hikers.
Logging Unit Operations Summary:
Firefighters continue to make good progress in all areas.
The Skyline and Haily Butte Fires are in patrol status; crews are available to respond to new starts Crews will continue with hose lays and mop up efforts on the Logging Unit/Camas Prairie and Bear Butte 2 Fires, utilizing air support as needed. A contingency line is being prepared (J-100/J-170/J-200 road systems).
Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs Road & Area Closures:
Closures that apply to public with the exception of local residents:
- B-180/Hwy 26 Jct
- B-160/Hwy 26 Jct
- B-140/Hwy 26 Jct
Closures that apply to all public:
- B-160 near the B-165 Jct
- County Line Rd at the end of the pavement
- J-100 at the Tenino Rd/J-100 Jct
Log Unit/Camas Prairie Fire Closure