News

Marijuana pipe's ashes spark Awbrey Butte house fire

Five Bend fires caused by smokers in just 24 hours

BEND, Ore. - (Update: Ashes from marijuana pipe sparked blaze, not cigarette)

Bend fire officials said ashes from a marijuana pipe that were put in a trash can sparked a fire that caused $100,000 damage to the second story of a duplex on Awbrey Butte Thursday morning — one of five Bend fires in just 24 hours caused by improper disposal of smoking materials.

Firefighters responded around 10 a.m. to the fire in the 2500 block Northwest Awbrey Road and quickly knocked down a fire burning in the second-floor apartment of a two-story house, said Deputy Fire Marshal Dan Derlacki.

Damage was limited to the second story residence, sparing the first-floor vacation rental of any major damage, Derlacki said.

An investigation determined that ashes from the marijuana pipe were disposed of in a trash can, and the can's combustible contents ignited, spreading fire throughout the room.

Another occupant who was home noticed the fire shortly after it began and quickly called 911, keeping the fire from spreading any further, Derlacki said,

Losses were estimated at $50,000 to the building and $50,000 to the contents. Abrey Road was closed for about an hour during the firefighting effort.

No injuries were reported. American Red Cross disaster responders were called out to help the three adults and pets affected by the fire.

Derlacki wrote, "As always, Bend Fire reminds everyone to be extremely careful when disposing any type of smoking materials."

An improperly disposed of cigarette sparked a fire that destroyed or damaged several structures and vehicles in southeast Bend Wednesday evening,

The tally from the day, according to officials: Six homes destroyed, two damaged and three brushfires in “super dry” conditions.


By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories