BEND, Ore. - A fire apparently sparked by firewood too close to a wood stove destroyed a home in Deschutes River Woods Monday morning, causing no injuries but leaving the homeowner's cat missing, officials said.
Deschutes County 911 dispatchers got a report around 10:50 a.m. of smoke coming from a manufactured home at 60177 Cinder Butte Drive, said Bend Deputy Fire Marshal Jeff Bond.
Crews arrived to find heavy smoke coming from Rodney Pack's 1993 manufactured home, Bond said.
Pack, who lives alone in the home, had left for work earlier and returned to find smoke pouring from the home, Bond said. He reportedly opened the door but was unable to enter.
His cat was missing and has not been located, the fire official said.
The fire began next to the wood stove, in the dining area, Bond said. While fire damage was limited to that area, there was heat and heavy smoke damage throughout the structure.
Losses were estimated at $30,000 to the structure (its total value) and $5,000 to the $10,000 worth of contents, Bond said. The home was insured, and Red Cross workers were called in to assist Pack.
Pack reminded residents to provide at least three feet of clearance between any heating equipment and things that can burn.