BEND, Ore. - A fast-moving fire destroyed a northeast Bend home Wednesday morning, but the resident and his dog escaped unhurt, officials said.
The fire was called in around 8:35 a.m. for the home at 63385 Omer Drive, off Vogt Road.
First crews on scene indicated the single-story dwelling already was about half on fire, with heavy flames coming from the front and attic, as well as the adjacent front deck, said Battalion Chief Bob Madden.
The fire was quickly knocked down, Madden said, and the building searched for anyone, but no one was inside. The resident, Daniel Olsen, and his dog safely escaped.
Losses were estimated at $120,000 to the home and $40,000 to the contents. The home was insured, Madden said.
Deputy Fire Marshal Jeff Bond said the cause of the fire could not be determined, but they cannot rule out a human cause.
He said they determined the fire began on the deck, then spread into the living room and attic, spreading rapidly through the home.
Deschutes County property tax records indicated the home was bank-owned due to foreclosure. The resident, who had until Friday to move out, had heard the blaze and fled, as a neighbor called 911.
The resident is a smoker, Bond said, but no evidence pointing to that as a cause was found.
Bend fire personnel were called back in to help staff stations while firefighters tackled the blaze, which sent up smoke visible over a wide area.
Pacific Power was called in to cut power to the home and the Red Cross was contacted to assist the displaced residents. The organization said provided comfort kits, food and clothing to the two adults who lived there.
The property tax records indicate the three-bedroom home was built in 1979.