An electrical problem sparked a fire that destroyed a barn between Bend and Redmond early Monday morning, also burning a pickup truck and damaging a well that served the property and two neighbors, authorities said.
The fire was called in by several people shortly before 4 a.m. at a barn off Gift Road near SW 61st Street and Highway 97. It contained a dozen bales of newly cut hay and several gas containers for farm equipment, said officials and neighbors who reported hearing loud explosions.
No animals were in the structure, and no injuries were reported.
Redmond Fire Marshal Traci Cooper said later Monday the fire was determined to have been caused by an electrical problem.
Cooper said losses have been estimated at $85,000 for the structure and contents, including a pickup truck and trailer
Homeowner Debbie Smith told NewsChannel 21 the barn also housed a shared well, and that her and two neighboring homes were without water as a result. Smith said the fire also destroyed her daughter's belongings stored in the barn.