News

Deschutes River Woods kitchen fire causes $60,000 damage

Fire Dept says combustibles too close to stove

BEND, Ore. - A kitchen fire that spread smoke throughout a Deschutes River Woods home Friday night and caused about $60,000 in damage was caused by combustibles placed too close to a stove, officials said Saturday.

Bend Fire Department crews responded shortly after 6 p.m. to the reported fire in the kitchen of a home in the 60200 block of Navajo Road, said Fire Inspector Steve Stenkamp.

A dozen firefighters were called out and quickly controlled the fire, preventing further damage. Stenkamp also noted the home’s smoke detectors were not working.

The American Red Cross sent disaster responders to help the residents Friday night. They said the fire affected one adult and two pets. The Red Cross provided resources to help meet their immediate basic needs.

Stenkamp said the fire prompted a reminder to residents to never leave their stove or ovens unattended and to keep combustibles away from any heat source. Also, he urged everyone to make sure your smoke alarms work properly.


By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories