Crook County

Prineville laundry room fire traced to heater

Combustibles too close - but smoke alarm wakened homeowner

PRINEVILLE, Ore. - A Prineville homeowner awakened by smoke alarms Wednesday called in fire crews who doused a blaze in a laundry room and attached garage before flames spread throughout the home, officials said.

Crook County Fire & Rescue responded around 9:30 a.m. to the reported fire at a home on NE Oregon Avenue, said Fire Marshal Casey Kump. Crews arrived four minutes after the call, to find the house and garage full of smoke.

Kump said the cause of the fire was found to be combustibles placed too close to an electric wall-mounted heater in the laundry room.

Structural damage was minimal, but smoke damage occurred throughout the home, the fire marshal said. The estimated losses totaled $15,000.

The fire did not displace the homeowner, Kump said, and they are working with an electric contractor and the county building department to have power restored to the house.

Kump reminded residents that all heating sources, including space heaters, need at least three feet of clearance from any combustibles.

By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories