Crook County

NW Prineville apt. fire displaces residents

Pan of grease ignites on stove top

A hot pan of grease ignited a stove top at a northwest Prineville apartment Friday evening, sparking an attic fire that caused heavy damage to two neighboring units whose residents were displaced, officials said.

Crook County Fire and Rescue was dispatched shortly before 5:30 p.m. to the reported grease fire in an apartment on NW 10th Street, said Fire Chief Matt Smith.

Crews arrived to find a kitchen grease fire, which was quickly extinguished on the stove stop, Smith said. However, the fire had spread into the attic.

Firefighters brought the attic blaze under control, he said in a news release, "but not before two apartment units were significantly damaged."

Two engines, two ambulances and 11 firefighters responded to the scene. There were no injuries, Smith said.

The American Red Cross helped a displaced family of four, according to Smith, while the neighboring residents were assisted by family or friends.

By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories