Shot at deer near Bend cemetery brings arrest

Funeral home worker said shot went over his head

BEND, Ore. - Police and sheriff's deputies converged on Deschutes Memorial Gardens on Bend's north end Monday evening on a worker's report of a gunshot fired over his head. A search and investigation led to the arrest of a nearby resident who allegedly fired a shotgun round at a deer in the area.

Shortly after 7:30 p.m., Deschutes County sheriff's deputies were dispatched to Deschutes Memorial Gardens at 63875 Hwy. 97 on a report of a shot fired in the direction of a worker at the funeral home, said Lt. Kevin Dizney.

The employee told deputies he heard the round pass over his head, and a man yelled something the worker could not make out, some distance north of his location, Dizney said.

Sheriff's deputies surrounded the area, with the assistance of Oregon State Police and Bend police officers, he said. The employee was able to leave the area in his vehicle to meet with deputies.

As a precaution, the nearby Holiday Inn Express and Quality Inn motel were notified of the incident and told to have their guests stay inside and report anyone suspicious, Dizney said.

Based on information obtained from the employee, deputies identified a nearby home at 63905 Hwy. 97 as the likely location where the shooting originated from, he said.

Deputies contacted two people in the driveway of the home, later determined to be involved in the matter, Dizney said. Later, a third person was called by phone and agreed to come out of the house.

All three people cooperated in the investigation, Dizney noted, which determined that Gregory Todd Phipps, 60, had fired a shotgun round at a deer while intentionally hunting, Dizney said.

Phipps was arrested and lodged at the county jail on charges of unlawful use of a weapon, reckless endangering, disorderly conduct and hunting during prohibited hours.

Cynthia Renee Rogerson, 49, was cited by OSP on a charge of aiding in a game violation, Dizney said.

Both hotels were notified of the outcome of the investigation and advised there had been no further danger, the lieutenant said.

By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories