Cover Oregon announced Wednesday that Oregonians who want their health coverage to take effect Jan. 1, should submit their application postmarked no later than Wednesday, Dec. 4.
A downloadable application can be found here: http://www.coveroregon.com/get-started/overview
“We encourage Oregonians to get in their applications as soon as possible. They should not wait,” said Howard “Rocky” King, executive director of Cover Oregon.
Applications may be submitted via online PDF, by fax or mail postmarked by Dec 4. Here is how to get a paper application:
- Visit home page of CoverOregon.com to use online application form. http://www.coveroregon.com/get-started/overview. This is different than the online enrollment that will be available in the future. It’s a PDF form that people can use today. They fill it out online. Or they can print it out and mail or fax it to Cover Oregon.
- Call 1-855-CoverOr to request an application
- Call a community partner or agent listed on CoverOregon.com
- Pick up an application at any DHS office
After an application is received:
- The applicant will receive a letter letting them know whether they are eligible for private insurance with or without tax credits, or for Oregon Health Plan or Healthy Kids.
- People who are eligible for private insurance will receive an enrollment packet in the mail from Cover Oregon. They need to complete it and send it back to Cover Oregon, postmarked by Dec. 15 for coverage starting Jan. 1. Cover Oregon encourages people to choose their preferred plan now so they are ready to fill out their packet as soon as it arrives. To start researching plans, they can go to CoverOregon.com anytime.
- If they are eligible for Oregon Health Plan or Healthy Kids they are automatically enrolled and will receive a confirmation letter.
Cover Oregon has received over 25,000 applications to date and more arrive every day. Additionally, the Oregon Health Authority has received about 70,000 responses from people eligible for “fast-track enrollment” into the Oregon Health Plan. About 260,000 Oregonians were notified that they are eligible for fast-track enrollment last month.
“What matters is connecting Oregonians to quality, affordable insurance—by Jan. 1, 2014, if they need it,” said King. “We are committed to making sure everyone who needs coverage at the beginning of the year gets it.”
Cover Oregon is kicking off the first of six application fairs across the state today to help people apply for health insurance. Interest in the fairs is high and registration time slots are filling quickly. Space is limited and Cover Oregon encourages people to pre-register at Application Fairs Registration coveroregon.com/discover/meetings. Pre-registration is encouraged, but not required. There may also be wait times.
About Cover Oregon
Cover Oregon is a health insurance marketplace where Oregonians can choose from different health carriers and plans that fit their needs and budget, and find savings to pay for coverage. Cover Oregon includes health insurance from both private companies and public medical programs such as the Oregon Health Plan and Healthy Kids. Many people—for example, an individual earning up to $45,900 a year and a family of four earning up to $94,000 a year—will qualify for financial help. Visit CoverOregon.com or call 1-855-CoverOR (toll free 1-855-268-3767).