BEND, Ore. - The Bend Police Department conducted a Pedestrian Safety Detail on Wednesday June 26. The operation was held at the intersections of NW Galveston Avenue and 12th Street.
The primary focus of this detail was to raise pedestrian safety awareness of drivers and pedestrians through education and enforcement of pedestrian right of way laws. The detail was conducted between 8:00am and 11:00am; warning signs were posted prior to entering the pedestrian safety operation zone.
The results of the operation were as follows:
- Fail to Yield to a Pedestrian: 8 citations & 2 written warnings
- Cell Phone Use: 4 citations & 1 written warning
- Fail/improper use Safety Belt: 3 citations & 4 written warnings
- Other infractions: 6 citations & 5 written warnings
- One Arrest for Driving While Suspended Misdemeanor.
- Total Citations: 22
- Total written warnings: 12
Funding for this PSE is made possible through a grant from Oregon Walks and Oregon Department of Transportation. For additional information, please contact Lieutenant Chris Carney at the Bend Police Department at 541-322-2978.