BEND, Ore. - The Oregon Department of Geology and Mineral Industries on Friday announced the winners of the 2013 Mined Land Reclamation Awards.
Among the 2013 winners are a state-of-the-art gold mining operation on a historic mining settlement in Baker County, an operator that continually goes above and beyond to reclaim land for agricultural use, and a quarry site project that increased creek access for spawning Coho salmon.
The awards recognize outstanding efforts during the 2013 calendar year. Honorees were:
- Outstanding Reclamation: Oregon Resources Corporation of Coos Bay for efforts to minimize the impacts to surrounding landowners and complete successful reclamation at their heavy minerals mining site in Coos County.
- Voluntary Reclamation: Triple C Redi-Mix Inc. of Baker City for reclamation of old, eyesore excavations into crop-producing agricultural land.
- Outstanding Operator: Southern Oregon Ready-Mix of Central Point for quickly correcting problems inherited from past operators at their Jackson County sand and gravel site and implementing best management practices to protect adjacent natural resources and reduce the potential for off- site impacts.
- Outstanding Operator, Division II: Western Mine Development of Baker County for exemplary planning, development, and day-to-day operations that protect natural resources adjacent to their Twin Lake Ranch site at the historic China Town settlement.
- Good Neighbor: Latham Excavation of Bend for efforts to reduce off-site impacts and complete interim and concurrent reclamation on previously disturbed areas at the Johnson Road Pit in Deschutes County.
- Oregon Plan Award: Weyerhaeuser Company for efforts to improve site operations, protect water quality, and enhance fish and wildlife habitat for two Coos County quarries.
- Special Recognition Award: Bob Short, consultant to CalPortland Company, for his tireless efforts to support the aggregate industry on social, political, economic and environmental levels.
Each year, DOGAMI's Mined Land Regulation & Reclamation program and an independent panel of experts select mine sites and operators to receive awards for excellence in reclamation, mine operation, and habitat protection.
The awards were presented Friday during the Oregon Concrete and Aggregate Producers Association (OCAPA) Annual Meeting at the Eagle Crest Resort near Redmond.