News

Clothes dryer sparks NE Bend house fire

And blowtorch use starts small La Pine house fire

BEND, Ore. - A clothes dryer fire caused an estimated $25,000 in damage to a northeast Bend home Friday afternoon, officials said, noting the need to keep such machines and their hoses clean and free of lint.

Crews responded shortly before 4:30 p.m. to the report of smoke coming from a home in the 2800 block of Northeast Canyon Park Drive, said Bend Fire Capt. Scott Wyman.

The residents were home at the time and alerted to the fire by their smoke detectors, allowing them to safely evacuate, Wyman said.

The first-arriving engine crew found smoke coming from the rear of the home and the eaves of the attic, the captain said.

Firefighters put out the blaze, searched the house and carried two cats to safety.

The American Red Cross sent disaster responders to the scene to assist the four affected adults with their immediate basic needs, such as temporary housing, food or clothing.

Losses were estimated at $20,000 to the building and $5,000 worth of contents, both of which were insured.

Wyman noted that about 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported nationally each year, causing an estimated five deaths, 100 injuries and $35 million in property losses.

The leading cause of home clothes dryer fires – more than a third – is failure to clean them, he said.

More dryer fires happen in the fall and winter, peaking in January.

Another fire danger in the winter, especially in snowier times – using items like a blowtorch to remove snow or ice.

That sparked a fire Saturday morning off Day Road in La Pine, according to the La Pine Rural Fire District.

A firefighter said the residents were trying to melt snow and ice with a blowtorch and caught a bit of the front door moulding and a small amount of insulation on fire.


By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories