BEND, Ore. - The Bend Park and Recreation District and local skate group PUSH (Providing Urban Skate Habitats) have been working together for several months preparing for the development of a new skatepark at Ponderosa Park.
Now, the skatepark project is moving ahead to the design phase and the public is invited to join the process in a series of upcoming public meetings:
• Wednesday, March 6th: Skatepark Community Design Workshop 6:30 pm at BPRD District Office
• Late March date/time to be announced: Skatepark Community Design Presentation at BPRD District Office
• Tuesday, April 16th: Skatepark Design Presentation to Board of Directors 7:00 pm, during regular board meeting at BPRD District Office
The new skatepark is part of current Ponderosa Park renovations and will be located along the south end of Ponderosa Park near Wilson Avenue.
New parking, restrooms, picnic shelter, basketball courts, playground, trails and more are already under construction.
The existing, older skatepark at Ponderosa Park will remain for at least five years. Its best use will be considered during the design of the new skatepark.
Spohn Ranch has been selected to design and build the new skatepark through a competitive request for proposal process.
Spohn Ranch has designed and built over 500 skatepark projects in addition to partnering in high profile skateboard events such as the X Games and Dew Tour. For more information on Spohn Ranch, visit www.spohnranch.com.
The first public workshop will begin the skatepark design process. Anticipated to take about five weeks, the design phase will culminate on Tuesday, April 16th with a presentation to the Board of Directors.
The final design will be based on public input, site opportunities and constraints, and budget, officials said Friday.
A total of $240,000 has been budgeted for construction of the new skate park. BPRD has budgeted $200,000 for construction and an additional $18,500 for planning. PUSH will contribute the remaining $40,000 for construction through cash and in-kind donations from a community fundraising effort.
It is expected that the skatepark will be under construction in early July and completed by fall.
Opportunities for community members to be involved include:
• Attending and providing input at the public design meetings.
• Following the project and offering feedback via Facebook at www.facebook.com/PonderosaSkatepark.
• Helping PUSH with fundraising. Additional information on PUSH is available at www.facebook.com/PushOfOregon.