Home saved from shed fire east of Bend

Cause: Improperly extinguished campfire

BEND, Ore. - A small garden shed went up in flames very close to a home east of Bend Monday morning, but crews extinguished the blaze before it could spread, fire officials said.

Bend firefighters responded shortly before 7 a.m. to the reported fire at 61702 Teal Road, south of Highway 20, and found a 10-by-10-foot outbuilding fully ablaze, said fire Capt. David Russell.

The shed was very close to the home, Russell said, but the fire was quickly extinguished before spreading.

Firefighters determined the cause of the blaze was an improperly extinguished campfire the residents had enjoyed the night before, the captain said.

The shed and contents were a complete loss, with damage estimated at $6,000.

Bend firefighters reminded residents who have small recreational fires to follow some simple tips before leaving them unattended.

1. Allow the wood to burn completely to ash if possible.
2. Pour lots of water on the fire, drown ALL embers, not just the red ones.
3. Pour until hissing sound stops
4. Stir the campfire ashes and embers with a shovel
5. Scrape the sticks and logs to remove any embers
6. Stir and make sure everything is wet and they are cold to the touch

By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories