DRW house fire causes $20,000 damage

Traced to charcoal BBQ briquettes

BEND, Ore. - A house fire in Deschutes River Woods Friday night caused about $20,000 in damage and temporarily displaced eight adults and two children, authorities said.

Bend fire officials said the residents in the 19000 block of Choctaw Road south of Bend had tried unsuccessfully to light a charcoal barbecue on the back deck, but gave up and left to watch the fireworks display.

When they returned home around 10:30 p.m., the deck was on fire and flames were beginning to enter the home through a shattered glass door, officials said.

The residents grabbed a garden hose and had the fire almost extinguished by the time fire crews arrived, officials said.

Battalion Chief Bob Madden said the fire apparently began from charcoal briquettes in a bag. Most of the damage was smoke damage that can be cleaned up, officials said.

The American Red Cross responded to assist the eight adults and two children, providing lodging and offering other assistance..

By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories