Armed subject who entered SE Bend business found dead

Police: 'No evidence of suspicious circumstances'

Armed suspect barricades inside SE...

BEND, Ore. - (Update: Police say person with gun found dead in building after three hours)

An intoxicated person with a gun walked into a southeast Bend business Thursday morning, prompting a police SWAT team call-out and the closure of streets in the area for about three hours, until the person was found dead in the building, officers said.

Bend police responded around 9:45 a.m. to a business at 33 SE Scott Street, in the area of Chevron-Bend Oil Co., on a report of an armed subject, said Lt. Clint Burleigh.

The caller to 911 said a person known to the business had walked in with a firearm and was intoxicated, Burleigh said.

"There were other details known by the reporting person that caused concern," Burleigh said in an evening news release, declining to reveal more specifics.

"Bend police, including officers and detectives, quickly set up a perimeter to keep the subject from becoming a risk to our community," Burleigh wrote, adding that they "quickly learned there were no employees or other community members in the building with the subject."

The Central Oregon Emergency Response Team, was called in to assist, and Scott Street was closed around 11 a.m. from the northbound Bend Parkway onramp to Southeast Davis Avenue, remaining closed until about 2 p.m.

"Unfortuantely, the subject in question was found deceased in the building," Burleigh said. Again, few specifics were released, other than that "there is no evidence or information of suspicious circumstances surrounding the death."

Police had tweeted in the late morning they were "working an active armed suspect" in the area of Southeast Second and Scott streets. "Scott Street is closed. Please avoid the area," the tweet concluded.

Nearby Sparrow Bakery on Scott Street was reported to be on lockdown and closed for the day due to its proximity, across the street from the incident.

Employees at Sunlight Solar Company said they saw the police activity on Scott Street and decided to close their blinds and lock their doors. 

"It was a little scary, a little disconcerting, especially not knowing what was going on out there and just not knowing what they were looking for and how dangerous it might be," said company employee Kelly Riley.

Burleigh said earlier they were working "to come to a very safe" resolution of the incident. A command post was set up at nearby Vince Genna Stadium.

By clicking Submit users are agreeing to follow the Terms of Service
comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories