* Designate your sober driver before the party begins and give that person your car keys.
* Avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast. Pace yourself--eat enough food, take breaks and alternate with non-alcoholic drinks.
* If you don't have a designated driver, ask a sober friend for a ride home; call a cab, friend or family member to come and get you; or just stay where you are and sleep it off until you are sober.
* Use your community's sober ride programs.
* Never let a friend leave your sight if you think they are about to drive while impaired.