A fire that apparently began in a garbage dumpster damaged two units at a southeast Madras apartment complex Thursday night, but the damage was not as serious as first feared, authorities said Friday.
Jefferson County Fire District No. 1 crews were called to the Buff Street Apartments at SE Eighth and Buff streets around 8:50 p.m., said Assistant Chief Tom Jaca.
Fire officials said no one was in either apartment at the time of the blaze. T
Losses were estimated at $5,000, mainly the vinyl windows and floor covering in the two apartments and smoke damage to a total of four units.
Lacey Lay said she was visiting for the weekend for her brother's graduation when she and her boyfriend happened to see the fire and she shot video she sent to NewsChannel 21.
Lay said it appeared to have started in a ground-floor apartment of the two-story complex, and that they watched firefighters broke into the units above and next door as no one was answering.