Flue, attic fire damages NE Bend home
A NE Bend home sustained more than $10,000 in damage Wednesday night from a chimney fire that most likely was caused by improper flue installation, fire officials said.
Firefighters were called shortly after 8 p.m. to the home owned by John Evans at 365 NE McCartney Drive, said Bend fire Capt. Don Segal.
It originally was called in as a flue fire, Segal said, but the first engine crew on the way was told it was upgraded to a possible structure fire.
They arrived to find light smoke and some small flames around the wooden chimney chase, and smoke coming from the eave vents and gable ends of the single-story home, Segal said.
Firefighters accessed the attic space through the garage ceiling and a second crew helped open up the chimney chase. Segal said a small amount of water was used from a garden hose.
As crews worked to make sure the fire was out, a firefighter slipped in the attic space, causing a roughly 3-by-3-foot piece of ceiling sheet rock to fall in the living room, Segal said, adding that no one was hurt and the hole in the ceiling was temporarily repaired.
Losses were estimated at $10,000 to the structure and $1,000 to the contents.
Segal reminded homeowners to have their flues inspected annually.
Copyright 2013 KTVZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed