A 12-year-old child playing with matches sparked a northeast Prineville garage fire that caused $12,000 in damage Tuesday night, a Crook County Fire & Rescue official said.
Firefighters responded shortly before 8 p.m. to the fire reported at 775 NE Third Street, said Fire Marshal Casey Kump.
Crews arrived to find the 400-square-foot garage fully involved, with overhead electrical exposures from a burning power pole, Kump said.
Firefighters also put out a burning vehicle, also tackling an exposure fire to a garage and fence on neighboring property, he said.
Two engine crews and an ambulance responded to the scene. Pacific Power restored service to several homes, and no families were displaced by the blaze, Kump said.
Kump said the fire was caused by a 12-year-old child who lived at the address and was playing with matches. Fire officials plan juvenile fire-setter meetings with the boy and his parent, Kump said.
Police also anticipate charges in the case, said Capt. Michael Boyd.