The Deschutes County Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee is seeking nominations from the public for deserving individuals, businesses, and agencies to be recipients of the annual Big Chainring Award.
Since 1996, the award recognizes those that have made a significant contribution towards the following:
- Improving bicycling and walking conditions in Deschutes County
- Encouraging children or adults to walk and ride their bikes
- Making Deschutes County communities healthier and happier
The committee also includes the Peter Hanson Memorial Award for individuals in the community who have provided outstanding voluntary contributions. Peter was a committee member who lost his battle with cancer in 2005. His presence was felt (and still missed) in many volunteer efforts in Central Oregon, including:
- Serving on the Deschutes County Bicycle/Pedestrian Committee
- Trail building work parties with COTA, USFS, and the BLM
- Leading Naturalist tours for the USFS
- Tree planting for Arbor Day and weed pulls, brush clearing and burning at the Metolius Preserve
- Litter removal/streamside improvements on area rivers
- Starting the “Let ‘em Slide” Wanoga Snow Play Park fund, which was a community-based fund-raising effort aimed at assisting the U.S. Forest Service in building the tubing/play area just east of the existing Wanoga Sno-Park on the way to Mt. Bachelor.
The County Bike and Pedestrian Advisory Committee discusses nominees during April then selects the winners at its May meeting. The awards are presented during a Deschutes County Board of Commissioners business meeting. Nomination forms can be obtained on the Committee’s website at www.deschutes.org/BPAC. Please submit the nomination(s), including a brief description of the nominee’s accomplishments on the official form by Friday, April 26th to:
Deschutes County Planning
117 NW Lafayette Ave.
Bend, OR 97701
Past winners include:
2012: Gary Guttormsen – “Peter Hanson Memorial Award”, Tom Holt, Commute Options (Brian Potwin), Sisters Area Chamber of Commerce (Erin Borla), City of Bend Police Department (Lt. Chris Carney)
2011: Chris Kratsch – “Peter Hanson Memorial Award”, Cassondra Schindler, Bend Endurance Academy (Bill Warburton), Bike Around Bend (Lucas Freeman), City of Bend Transportation Engineer (Robin Lewis)
2010: David Blair – “Peter Hanson Memorial Award”, Peter Werner, Old Mill District, City of Sisters (Community Development and Public Works Departments)
2009: John Rahm – “Peter Hanson Memorial Award”, J.C. Lizza, Cascade Couriers, Bend-La Pine School District
2008: Kim Curley, Sunriver Police Department Bicycle Patrol
2007: Jeff Sims – “Peter Hanson Memorial Award”, Strictly Organic, Cheryl Howard
2006: Jerry Norquist – “Peter Hanson Memorial Award”, Shevlin Commons (Andy Crosby), Bob Woodward
2005: Jani Sutherland, Eurosports (Brad Boyd), Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Recreation Staff, The Oregon Bicycle Ride - Sandy Green (Chairperson)
2004: Village Bike Shop, Phil Meglasson (Special Achievement), Sisters Trail Committee, Beth-Ann Wesley, City of Bend Street Crew
2003: Jeff Monson, Hutch’s Bike Shop, Karen Swirsky (Special Achievement), Bend Police Dept.
2002: Brooks Resources, County Road Dept., US Forest Service
2001: Deborah Hogan, Al Dertinger, Bend Public Works, Royal Blend
2000: Muffy Roy, Steve Jorgensen, Dr. Ted Ford, Central Oregon Trail Alliance